Andrew Marr has filmed a series for the BBC on the political, social, and cultural changes in the UK since WWII, called "Modern History of Britain". While you can’t get the video outside the UK, each decade has been summarised in a good article, with a selection of reader memories from that decade on another page.
- 1950s – A swansong to ‘olde Britain’ and reader’s history of 1950s Britain
- 1960s – Goodbye to monochrome and reader’s history of 1960s Britain
- 1970s – Chaos, rubbish and revolution and reader’s history of 1970s Britain
- 1980s – The defeat of grit, smoke, soot and clank and reader’s history of 1980s Britain
- 1990s – Shaking off a hangover and reader’s history of 1990s Britain
Which was your favourite decade? Mine was definitely the 1990s, when I went to university, got married, and moved to the US.