BBC News: UK chooses ‘most ludicrous laws’.
A little-known law which prohibits people dying while in the Houses of Parliament has been voted the UK’s most ludicrous piece of legislation. Another law which states it is treason to use a postage stamp upside down was placed in second place by those polled by UKTV. The most absurd international law was judged to be in the US state of Ohio, where it is illegal to get fish drunk.
The article lists the winners of the poll, both UK and international laws. These are my favourites:
- It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour.
- In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman’s helmet.
- It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
- In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon.
- In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm.
- In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits.
- Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
I wouldn’t recommend testing any of these laws out…