Three knitted things were lost in the move from one house to another. Three things I initially thought I wouldn’t use, and then used constantly.
Casualty #1: Roll-brim hat
This hat was an experiment with two-colour knitting using Rowan Cocoon, which is not the best for colour work, and a Greek key pattern I graphed out myself. It was supposed to be Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Very Warm Hat pattern, but two layers of Cocoon would have incinerated me. I loved this hat, even though the colour work wasn’t done well, the yarn is very soft and warm.
The replacement hat is so full of awesome I can’t wear it without grinning. I spun some Jacob roving into self-striping yarn, and made a Halfdome hat from it. It is all the more awesome because there was enough yarn for TWO hats, and Rox has the other one. She was with me when I got the roving in 2007 at the Maryland Sheep and Wool.
Casualty #2: Spiraluscious cowl
Made in two days flat over Christmas vacation in 2008 and worn a LOT. Shimmery merino/silk yarn in an awesome burnt orange colour, I fudged where you’re supposed to graft the edges of the border and did a three needle bind-off instead, but it still looked great.
There is enough in a skein of Opulence yarn from the Woolen Rabbit to make TWO Spiraluscious cowls. The difference is that I didn’t dodge the grafting on cowl #2, and it looks fantastic.
Casualty #3: Bow knot scarf
Made from a skein of Morehouse Merino 3-strand yarn back in 2005, this is probably the best little scarf I’ve ever met. It survived a moth attack one year and the wool didn’t even unravel, it just sat and patiently waited for me to fix it, which I did, and kept wearing it. I miss this one, it’s perfect for the gap between coat and neck.
Status: Replacement in progress
Same yarn, same pattern, different year. When you need something to take the edge off a lace weight project, Morehouse Merino is beyond fabulous. The yarn is soft and squishy, but it appears totally unplied and a bit uneven. It knits up into something windproof, warm, and cozy, and I’d blogged most of the pattern modifications from the original.
The first two should have surfaced once their replacements were completed but I still have no idea where they are. Perhaps they’re waiting for the bowknot scarf to reunite the triad.