Larix is a semi-circular shawl with columns of twisted stitches instead of lace, made with fingering weight yarn.
Pattern: Larix (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga in Giant Stick Insect, 2 skeins
Needles: US4 (40 inch circular)
Duration: 30th October 2010 to 22nd January 2011
Ravelry project: Larix Shawl
Two skeins of yarn went into this shawl. Both were from the same batch, but one was clearly more green and the other more grey. I striped them to ease the transition but I wish I’d started the striping earlier. There are three stripes with 2 rows new and 2 rows old in each stripe, so the transition took just over one repeat of the pattern.
I made 13.5 repeats of the pattern using 900yds of sock yarn. By the end, each row had over 400 stitches in and took 20 minutes, I had to grind the rows out to get it done. I only made it through 3 rows of the border instead of the six specified in the pattern, but I like the look. I almost ran out of yarn, the K2tog tbl cast off is stretchy but it used more yarn than I expected. As I was casting off, I was eyeing up the tails from where I switched skeins as potential extras, happily I didn’t need it, but it was closer than I’ve ever come to running out.
Before blocking it measured 21.5 inches from neck to hem, afterwards it measured about 24 inches. I didn’t pin this out, just patted it into shape and let it dry. Very little dye came out in the water.
Larix dragged on longer than I would have liked because of the November knitting hiatus for National Novel Writing Month. My knitting speed is about 400-500yds a month, assuming I don’t work on other projects.