I want to be someone that sketches on a regular basis. I have drawn something in my sketchbook every day for the last two weeks. Nothing is a masterpiece, but I’ve been experimenting with letter forms, faces that show emotions, lots of spirals, some cartoon roses and tulips, suns, squirrels, and it’s been good.
For my experiment in forming a habit, I’m doing this:
- I scheduled a time each day to sketch. First thing in the morning, after I write my 5 year diary and my gratitude diary (make it a routine).
- No fancy Art required, spirals and circles are OK (make it so easy you can’t NOT do it).
- Mark an X on a visible calendar on the days I sketched (visible feedback on new habit).
- Planning to keep this up through January (habits take 66 days to form).
- Planning an art supplies shopping trip between Christmas and New Year, maybe getting some colours to play with (anticipation of future reward)