Load and Save

Wrote the XSL transform stylesheets to turn Chronicle’s XML output into PHP pages for upload. Paul found some FTP code we can use. Next thing to do is create an ExportEntry class that extends DiaryEntry and adds system locale specific day and month names. Then see about loading. I finally have a project I’m truly interested in seeing completed! And it includes XML, XSLT, JDOM, Xalan, JDBC, Swing, how many other buzzwords can I fit in here?

The problem with having two development machines is synchronising the files.

Code

Much messing with source files. Changing your data model partway through a project is not the best thing to do because you have to delete the one file you’ve been holding on to as sacred, rename a pile of stuff, redirect files to look at other files, create a new file, and merge your changes with Hubby’s changes. But still progress.

Created a future version of the config file, there are SO many features still to code… But I will have the display exactly as I want.

Bah! Humbug! And hosting too.

Surprise surprise, it was a stupid oversight that was messing up my database connection, but I still have to rework the text panel/data entry section that’s been largely untouched from day one. Paul mentioned the nightmare concept “Gridbag layout” for added prettiness. Rather him than me. I’ve done everything with Flow, Grid and Border and it’s been pretty good so far.

We’re looking at web hosting companies. Good as Freedom To Surf is, they’re not taking in new free sites any more, which could well be the beginning of the end for my yearlong tenure on their server. It would be nice to have a server on the same continent as we are, even though Paul found a decent web host in India for a mere 900 Rupees a month ($20). Webalizer stats would be nice, but aren’t essential, PHP, MySQL and JSP’s are on the required features list. Our own domain name would be very nice.

Paul suggested fartingshark, starchedweasel, looseelastic, and mentallyunbalanced, all of which are wholly available (com, net, org, biz, and info extensions) for some strange reason.

Progress and lack thereof

It seems Chronicle doesn’t actually save entries. I have to sync the data model with the text area before saving, but the text area isn’t public. Everything still needs to be able to dump to a local XML file which will be fine once this minor *cough* problem is fixed. Once it’s sorted, dumping to a database will be fine, loading shouldn’t be too hard either. The hard part will be the XSL transform and the publishing. Joy. My Java book has instructions for a Java spelling checker but no sample code. I found three or four commercial ones costing upwards of $200. At least the GUI is complete, apart from the options and settings dialog.

Norton Internet Security is what’s preventing me from seeing BlogSnob links, though I have no idea why. Most of it is turned off, when I do turn stuff back on it blocks Mozilla and Eudora, despite claiming to allow them free access. Useless article. The router does most of the job of keeping us safe from those nasty crackers.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

I’m retro-fitting Chronicle to do what Paul’s been suggesting from the start, publish web pages. First up is a change to store diary entries in a database instead of XML files. That will make indexing easier, and also give me search capability later. Next up is investigating the java.net package to find out about remote file publishing. It already has themes built in, so it looks cool, now I have to get it to the point where it does something useful. And find out about Hypersonic and hsql.

I have found one open source Java spelling checker, it’s pre Alpha though. I’d rather not have to create my own.